Åsnes Nansen BC Skis
379 € – 469 €
Discover the Åsnes Nansen BC Skis, expertly crafted for backcountry enthusiasts seeking a versatile and high-performing ski for various mountain terrains. With its balanced design and exceptional glide, the Nansen BC Skis allow you to conquer diverse landscapes with ease and confidence. Experience unparalleled performance and explore the backcountry like never before with the Åsnes Nansen BC Skis.
Åsnes Nansen BC Skis: Versatile Performance for Mountain Terrain
The Nansen ski is a great choice for active skiers who tackle different types of terrain. These skis have a wide design that makes turning easy and provides good flow on the snow. They also come equipped with a full steel edge and a moderate walking span, which makes them suitable for both turning and walking. If you’re planning a challenging trip through deep or heavy snow, the Nansen skis are an excellent option.
The ski is named after Fritjof Nansen, who was a famous polar explorer, scientist, diplomat, and humanitarian. Nansen was the first person to cross Greenland on skis in 1888, and he made important discoveries about the Arctic Ocean while aboard the polar ship “Fram”. He received numerous awards for his scientific contributions, and he was recognized with the Nobel Peace Prize in 1922 for his tireless work promoting peace and humanitarianism.
- Width: The Nansen BC skis are wider than traditional cross-country skis, which makes them suitable for off-trail use and backcountry touring.
- Steel edge: The full metal edge provides superior grip and control on steep and icy terrain, making the Nansen BC skis a popular choice for backcountry skiers.
- Walking span: The Nansen BC skis have a moderate walking span, which means they are suitable for both turning and walking.
- Durability: The Nansen BC skis are designed to be durable and long-lasting, which is important for backcountry skiing where equipment failure can be dangerous.
- Skin insert: The Nansen BC skis feature a skin insert, which is a specialized material that provides extra grip on the snow. The skin insert is located under the foot area and can be removed or replaced as needed.
- Sintered base: The base of the Nansen BC skis is made of sintered material, which is a highly durable and long-lasting material. The sintered base is designed to hold wax well and provide excellent glide on the snow.
- Spreadable: The Nansen BC skis are spreadable, which means that they can be easily adjusted for different snow conditions. By applying wax or other treatments to the base of the skis, you can customize their performance for varying temperatures and snow types.
- Steel edge
- Skin insert
- Sintered and spreadable
- Material: Poplar wood core
- Use: varied terrain
- Construction: cap
- Binding: bc / 75mm
- Width: 76-56-66
- Weight: 1,025 g. per ski (200 cm)
- Made in Czech Republic
Åsnes is a renowned Norwegian brand that has a history of producing high-quality skis for touring and mountaineering for over 100 years. The brand was established by the Åsnes family in 1922, and in 1933, they built their first factory.
The company expanded over the years and experienced significant success, manufacturing over 137,000 pairs of skis in 1977. However, the beginning of the 1980s was a challenging time, and in 1998 the company declared bankruptcy. This led to the establishment of a new company called Åsnes Ski AS. Currently, Åsnes Ski AS is a subsidiary of Active Brands AS, which continues to operate the brand.
Today, Åsnes is a world leader in the production of backcountry nordic skis, also known in Norway as “fjellski,” and is the preferred choice for skis among polar expeditions worldwide. Additionally, the brand is a distributor of trap brands such as Colltex and Pomoca. Åsnes is famous for its alpine and cross-country skis, touring poles, and patented trap lock introduced in 2003.
Apart from skis, Åsnes also produces other ski-related equipment such as bindings, poles, and skins. The company has a strong focus on sustainability and uses environmentally friendly materials and production methods wherever possible.
Åsnes has a long history of supplying the Norwegian military with skis, and the brand is also popular among international expeditions and adventure skiers. Despite the production being moved out of Norway, Åsnes still designs and constructs its skis in Voss, Norway, and continues to be a market leader in mountain skiing and leading other developments in the category.