Therm-a-Rest is the world's leading designer, developer and manufacturer of outdoor mattresses and products meant for sleeping outside. It is known for its high quality and first-class design, as well as for various innovations in the development of quality products for outdoor use. The story of the products began in 1972, when a development team of former aircraft engineers made their prototype of an outdoor mattress.
The hiking-loving team further developed the product, and as a result, they were able to produce a comfortable, high performance and self-inflating sleeping mattress like no other. The motto of the team is “the better you sleep, the better you do”. It is important for Therm-a-Rest to support sustainable development and therefore, its products are made of sustainable materials, and it supports nature conservation in its own operations.
Frequently Asked Questions
What types of products does Therm-a-Rest offer?
Are Therm-a-Rest sleeping pads comfortable and durable?
How to inflate a self-inflating pad during winter?
How Does a Self-Inflating Sleeping Pad Function?
What is the recommended method for inflating my self-inflating pad for its first-time use?
How long does it typically take for my pad to self-inflate?
Why doesn't my self-inflating pad fully inflate?
How should I store my sleeping pad?
- Self-Inflating Pads: To optimize the performance of your self-inflating mattress, we recommend storing it unrolled and fully inflated in a dry area with the valve open. This practice helps the foam self-inflate more rapidly during your camping trips. It's important to avoid long-term storage in a damp environment, as this could potentially lead to mildew damage, which is not covered by our Limited Lifetime Warranty.
- NeoAir Pads: For NeoAir mattresses, we suggest leaving the valve open and storing your pad rolled tightly in a stuff sack. This precaution helps protect the mattress from dirt and sharp objects that could potentially damage it during storage.
How do I properly clean my sleeping pad?
Regular cleaning is essential to prolong the lifespan of your mattress, especially if you sleep directly on its surface.
Avoid putting your mattress in the washing machine. Instead, the most effective cleaning methods involve using a hose or a bathtub. Remember to keep the valve closed during cleaning. For general cleaning, we recommend a quick scrub using household cleaners like Formula 409®, BioClean™ All-Purpose Cleaner, or similar products.
You can also watch the instructional video on how to care for your Therm-a-Rest® mattress for additional guidance.
In the case of tree sap stains, spot cleaning can be done by applying rubbing alcohol to a cotton rag. Removing sap may require some effort, and it may leave a stain. However, applying talc or baby powder after cleaning should help eliminate any remaining stickiness.
What is the ASTM testing standard for determining the warmth of my sleeping pad?
What are the advantages of using stretch knit fabric on my sleeping pad?
Is it possible to replace the valve on my Therm-a-Rest mattress?
How to inflate and deflate sleeping pads with a WingLock™ Valve?
To properly inflate and deflate sleeping pads equipped with a WingLock™ Valve, follow these step-by-step instructions:
Inflating the WingLock™ Valve:
- Unroll your sleeping pad and unlock the valve cap by twisting it counter-clockwise.
- Employ a pump sack or simply use your breath to begin inflating the pad. The one-way valve will prevent air from escaping.
- Continue the inflation process until the mattress is fully inflated, and then close the valve by twisting the valve cap clockwise.
Deflating the WingLock™ Valve:
- Open the wings of the WingLock™ Valve to activate the one-way valve.
- Unlock the valve cap by twisting it counter-clockwise, allowing air to escape freely.
- Roll the pad towards the valve end, gently pushing out any remaining air from the pad.
For visual guidance, please watch the instructional video provided for a comprehensive demonstration of these steps.
Is it possible to replace an old Therm-a-Rest valve with a new WingLock™ Valve or TwinLock™ Valve?
No, it is not possible to install WingLock™ or TwinLock™ Valves on products that originally came with a Classic Therm-a-Rest Valve. To determine the valve type you have, please refer to the graphic below:
What distinguishes the WingLock™ Valve from Classic Therm-a-Rest Valves?
Faster Inflation: The WingLock™ Valve offers significantly faster inflation due to its larger valve opening and one-way inflation feature. With a pressurized air supply, the Classic Valve has a flow rate of approximately 2.2 standard cubic feet per minute, whereas the WingLock Valve boasts a flow rate of approximately 6.5 standard cubic feet per minute. This represents a substantial 295% difference in airflow speed.
One-Way Inflation: The unique design of the WingLock™ Valve prevents air from escaping during the inflation process.
Deflation "Wings": When it's time to pack up and leave your campsite, simply open the WingLock™ Valve and twist the built-in "wings." This design allows for deflation at twice the speed of our classic valve, streamlining the packing-up process.
What distinguishes the TwinLock™ Valve from Classic Therm-a-rest Valves?
How to inflate and deflate sleeping pads with a TwinLock™ Valve?
For proper inflation and deflation of sleeping pads equipped with a TwinLock™ Valve, please follow these step-by-step instructions:
Inflating the TwinLock™ Valve:
- Unroll your sleeping pad and unlock the "IN" valve by twisting it counter-clockwise.
- Utilize a pump sack or your breath to begin inflating the pad. The one-way "IN" valve will prevent air from escaping.
- Once the mattress is fully inflated, secure the valve by twisting the valve cap clockwise.
Deflating the TwinLock™ Valve:
- Open the "OUT" valve by twisting it counter-clockwise.
- The one-way "OUT" valve will prevent air from flowing back into the pad.
- Roll the pad toward the valve end, gently pushing out any remaining air from the pad.
For a visual demonstration of these steps, we recommend watching the instructional video provided.