Åsnes Combat NATO BC Skis
The Combat NATO ski is lightweight, powerful and has steel edges with a 22-millimeter sidecut. It’s designed for military use and has a moderate wax pocket. The Åsnes Combat Nato BC Skis are a popular choice for anyone looking for a high-performance backcountry touring ski that can handle challenging terrain and conditions.
Åsnes Combat NATO BC Skis
Combat NATO is a wide mountain ski with good flow, which is suitable for both deep snow and steeper terrain. The ski has been developed for use in defense and therefore has both good walking and driving properties as long as it is chosen in the right length. It is equipped with a moderate span, which together with width, and a 22mm turn-in, makes this a very versatile mountain ski.
The Combat NATO BC has a Titanal-reinforced binding attachment. In addition, it has a milled area in the sole, adapted to X-skin NATO with a metal attachment (art. 540225), which ensures reduced friction against the surface. This model also has a hole at the back of the ski. This hole can be used to secure the card trap better, by plugging it firmly at the back so that the trap does not come loose, for example at extreme temperatures. Furthermore, this ski also has reinforced holes with eyelets in the front tip, so that you can bardune tents in them and use them to make ski sleds when evacuating crew from the mountain.
If you want to get the most out of the trap system at Åsnes, we recommend using a narrow trap (X-skin 45mm Mohair) for cold roads and flat terrain. Wet roads and steep terrain will require a wider fell (X-skin 58mm Nylon).
- Good Walking and Driving Properties: The Combat NATO ski has been developed for use in defense and, therefore, has both good walking and driving properties.
- Moderate Span: Equipped with a moderate span, this ski is very versatile and offers great width, making it a perfect mountain ski.
- Titanal-Reinforced Binding Attachment: The Combat NATO BC has a Titanal-reinforced binding attachment that provides additional strength and durability.
- Milled Area in the Sole: The ski has a milled area in the sole, adapted to X-skin NATO with a metal attachment (art. 540225), which ensures reduced friction against the surface.
- Hole at the Back of the Ski: This model has a hole at the back of the ski that can be used to secure the card trap better, making sure it does not come loose during extreme temperatures.
- Reinforced Holes with Eyelets: The Combat NATO ski also has reinforced holes with eyelets in the front tip, making it possible to bardune tents and use them to make ski sleds when evacuating crew from the mountain.
- Suitable Trap System: For optimum use of the trap system at Åsnes, the narrow trap (X-skin 45mm Mohair) is recommended for cold roads and flat terrain, and the wider fell (X-skin 58mm Nylon) for wet roads and steep terrain.
- Steel edge
- Skin insert
- Sintered and spreadable
- Material: Poplar wood core w/titanal
- Use: Steep mountain terrain
- Construction: Cap
- Binding: 75mm / bc
- Width: 84 62 74
- Weight: 1200g. per ski (200 cm)
- Made in Czech Republic
|Body length||Weight (kg)||Ski length|
|-160 cm||– 60||170|
Åsnes is a renowned Norwegian brand that has a history of producing high-quality skis for touring and mountaineering for over 100 years. The brand was established by the Åsnes family in 1922, and in 1933, they built their first factory.
The company expanded over the years and experienced significant success, manufacturing over 137,000 pairs of skis in 1977. However, the beginning of the 1980s was a challenging time, and in 1998 the company declared bankruptcy. This led to the establishment of a new company called Åsnes Ski AS. Currently, Åsnes Ski AS is a subsidiary of Active Brands AS, which continues to operate the brand.
Today, Åsnes is a world leader in the production of backcountry nordic skis, also known in Norway as “fjellski,” and is the preferred choice for skis among polar expeditions worldwide. Additionally, the brand is a distributor of trap brands such as Colltex and Pomoca. Åsnes is famous for its alpine and cross-country skis, touring poles, and patented trap lock introduced in 2003.
Apart from skis, Åsnes also produces other ski-related equipment such as bindings, poles, and skins. The company has a strong focus on sustainability and uses environmentally friendly materials and production methods wherever possible.
Åsnes has a long history of supplying the Norwegian military with skis, and the brand is also popular among international expeditions and adventure skiers. Despite the production being moved out of Norway, Åsnes still designs and constructs its skis in Voss, Norway, and continues to be a market leader in mountain skiing and leading other developments in the category.