Big Agnes is an outdoor gear and camping equipment brand that produces a wide range of products, including tents, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, camping furniture, and other outdoor accessories. The company was founded in 2000 and is based in Steamboat Springs, Colorado.
Big Agnes is known for its innovative designs that prioritize lightweight and packability while still providing reliable shelter and comfort in the outdoors. It is particularly popular among backpackers and thru-hikers who need gear that is both durable and easy to carry on long treks.
In addition to its focus on product design, Big Agnes is also committed to sustainability and responsible manufacturing practices. It uses recycled materials in many of its products and has implemented a number of initiatives to reduce waste and energy consumption in its operations.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Big Agnes known for?
Is Big Agnes committed to sustainability?
Are Big Agnes tents waterproof?
Can I wash my Big Agnes sleeping bag?
Yes, you can wash your Big Agnes sleeping bag. It is recommended to use a front-loading washing machine on a gentle cycle with a mild detergent. Be sure to rinse the bag thoroughly and then dry it on a low heat setting or hang it to air dry.
If you have a synthetic bag, use a tech wash, and if your bag is down, use a down wash.
To properly wash and care for your sleeping bag, follow these steps:
- Zip your bag up all the way and turn it inside out.
- Wash your bag on a gentle cycle with warm water. Avoid using hot water, as it can damage the fabric of your bag.
- Set your washer to rinse a few times to thoroughly remove dirt and soap.
- Dry your bag in a large, front-loading commercial dryer using a low or no heat setting. Heat can melt the nylon and waterproofing on your bag, so avoid using high heat. For down bags, add some clean shoes or tennis balls to help break up clumped insulation and re-loft your bag.
- Make sure your bag is completely dry before removing it from the dryer. Even a small amount of moisture can cause mildew to grow in your bag.
- Hang your bag for a few hours to ensure the down is not clumping in the bag. Clumping down means it is still wet and won't keep you warm.
- Once your bag is completely dry and fluffy, shake it vigorously to ensure the insulation is evenly distributed.
- Store your bag in its mesh storage sack in a cool, dry place. Avoid storing it in a compressed state for long periods of time, as this can damage the insulation.
You can wash both down and synthetic bags the same way.
Can I wash my Big Agnes tent?
Yes, you can wash your Big Agnes tent. It's important to clean your tent after use to remove any dirt, grime, or debris that may have accumulated on it. Here are the steps to wash your tent:
- Set up your tent and remove any loose debris or dirt with a soft-bristled brush or sponge.
- Fill a large tub or bathtub with lukewarm water and a gentle, non-detergent soap (such as Tech Wash).
- Gently hand-wash your tent with the soapy water, paying particular attention to any heavily soiled areas.
- Rinse your tent thoroughly with clean water to remove all soap residue.
- Hang your tent up to air dry in a shaded area. Avoid direct sunlight, which can damage the fabric and waterproofing.
Note that washing your tent may affect its waterproofing, so it's a good idea to reapply a waterproofing treatment after washing. Additionally, avoid using a washing machine or dryer, as these can damage the tent fabric and construction.
How can I find the right Big Agnes sleeping bag?
To find the right Big Agnes sleeping bag, you should consider the following factors:
- Temperature rating: Determine the lowest temperature at which you will be using the sleeping bag and choose a bag with a temperature rating that matches those conditions.
- Insulation type: Decide between a synthetic or down-filled sleeping bag based on the intended use and your personal preference.
- Sleeping bag shape: Big Agnes sleeping bags come in different shapes, including rectangular, semi-rectangular, and mummy. Consider the trade-offs between warmth and comfort when choosing a shape.
- Bag weight and packability: If you plan on carrying your sleeping bag on a backpacking trip, you'll want to consider the weight and packability of the bag.
- Sleeping bag features: Big Agnes sleeping bags come with various features, such as hoods, draft collars, and zippered pockets. Consider which features are essential for your comfort and convenience.
- Size: Ensure that the sleeping bag is long enough to accommodate your height and wide enough to provide sufficient room to move around comfortably.
By considering these factors, you can find a Big Agnes sleeping bag that fits your needs and preferences.